Wednesday, March 24, 2010

stop while you're ahead

So, this week has seen improvements in the return of solid food. I recently learned I'm actually NOT lactose-intolerant so that's opened up whole new worlds (hello orange creamsicles!). Good news, good news. But, I find myself hyper-sensitive to every feeling in my stomach and esophagus, a little gun-shy if you will. I think, "Oh no, is this it, the beginning of a Very Bad Evening?" I got so excited about the solid food for dinner tonight I think I overdid it. I forget that just because I can eat solids again, doesn't mean I can eat a "normal" portion. I'm hoping the sickness stays away until bedtime. Or, I could just use it as an excuse to NOT do my taxes. ;)

With all of that, sometimes it's the understanding, or not understanding, of others that gets to me. My co-workers (most of them) know the issue, but don't really get it. I fear they think I'm exaggerating or making it up because they see me eat certain things sometimes. But, I feel like I have to test the waters every so often, even if it means getting sick later. That said, I'm worried that the next meal will be the beginning of another bad spell.

For anyone reading this, do you have these fluctuations? And do you feel stress has greatly contributed to them? I'm finding liquid is now more intolerable (right now) than solid, maybe because I feel that it shouldn't be a problem and I drink too much? The happy medium is constantly in flux.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely have the fluctuations. My GP I call mild to moderate right now, yet I can't eat normally. I can't eat salad, or fruit or veggies or anything whole wheat. If I did, I'd be in for agony. I'm saying this because I realize how weird this illness is...this way of eating has become normal for me. When I can eat this way without the worst of symptoms I think I'm doing well....where as in reality (which I'm getting from your blog)--I'm not doing that well...because my "normal" diet is definitely not "normal" at all, its just a heck of a lot better than not being able to eat solids or anything at all. (as you have been having to do).

    Yeah on the creamscicles. Doesn't finding a food that tastes good and doesn't cause pain or nausea make you want to dance? I'm lactose intolerant but have been having Annie's mac n cheese and doing okay with it...It tastes so good and I love the pleasantly full feeling it leaves me with.

    I just had Rice Chex cereal (soggy) and am in pain. Often lately I haven't had pain after eating Rice Chex ...so I don't know either whether what I eat is going to set GP off. It makes eating this weird, kinda scary experience, cause we don't know if its going to cause awful symptoms.

    I don't associate GP flare up with stress, but I have other conditions and when they are flare up I find my stomach does too. Perhaps that is do to the physical stress. I haven't figured it out yet.

    Happy that you are getting solids down and it seems natural that it will take time to figure out what solids and how much your stomach can tolerate. What you are able to eat without symptoms...enjoy!

    Happy to find your blog-another GPer who "get it".

    ReplyDelete